September 15, 2010

What am I doing

Lee and I have a bunch of old furniture and house stuff that we really need to get rid of. So do my parents. My dad and I had been planning on having a joint garage sale at their house. Our (my) original goal was to do this before I had the baby. Haha! Clearly that did not happen.

So lately I have been thinking about how we need to have it soon when it cools off a little, so Lee said I should ask my dad about it. Then Monday night, before I had a chance to say anything, my dad called me to tell me their neighborhood garage sale is Saturday. As in this Saturday, less than 5 days away! He said that he doesn't have enough time to get all their stuff together but wanted to let me know in case we could get ours together. And I said I was going to try! I don't know why I think I will be able to do this, as it is, I can barely stay awake until a decent bedtime hour after work!

The thing is, my parents live in a really large neighborhood, and there will be LOTS of traffic, so I really don't want to pass up the opportunity. And I'm a psycho about 'cleaning out' our rooms and closets like once a month or once every other month. Lee hates it when I start asking him when was the last time he wore this or that :) So I already have all of our stuff in piles and boxes, I just need to find all the piles and boxes and get it organized. I *think* I can do it. And all the big stuff like furniture and tv's are in a storage unit. Yes, we pay monthly for a storage unit because we have so much crap and such a small house! It's ridiculous and we really want to get rid of the stuff in there so we won't have that monthly expense.

The most difficult part for me will be pricing things. I've got NO idea what garage sale prices are.

5 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Garage sales can def be stressful!! We had ours last year when I was pregnant and managed to sell 90% of the crap we had, the rest went to Goodwill. My advice would be to price the clothes really cheap- like less than $5-$10/each...people will bargain down and we ended up selling a lot of the old polos and light jackets for about $1-$2/each. I did sell 2-3 dresses (still with tags!) for a little more. Furniture- we priced some stuff almost too low and shoppers told us that (they saw the sold signs and couldn't believe what they had gone for, oops). You might check Craigslist for similar items and price check there...

Ashley said...

uhhh, I have the opposite problem. I dont want to get rid of ANYTHING. NADA. I cant believe you go through closets once a month! holy hell! haha. It must be so tidy in your house and closets though. As you know I went to a yard sale this past weekend that was town wide, and things were cheap, so I dont know how to price either!

Jax said...

Love the garage sale-ing. I was SO going to give stuff to Eric for his before I moved..I got so lazy, I ended up just giving a ton of stuff away... It's definitely not easy

Erica said...

Good luck! We thought about having one last spring but didn't. Let us know if it's worth it:-)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Wish I had some advice for you, but garage sales are SO hard for me. That's why I still have a ridiculously cluttered guest room!! Good luck! :)