October 7, 2013

The Cupcake Biz

I have always loved baking.  I’ve done it for as long as I can remember.  This is so random, but we were talking about the OJ Simpson trial at work the other day.  You know what I was doing while watching the police chase?  Baking shortbread.  Lol. 

When deciding on colleges, I really wanted to go to a local-ish culinary school.  But, between my parents’ desire for me to get a “real degree” and me not really having the confidence to go for it, I went another way.

When I started working in my current job, I would bring in cupcakes for my co-workers’ birthdays.  They would RAVE about how good they were.  This might seem weird, but I don’t like cupcakes.  I mean, I’ll eat them, but I wouldn’t choose them if I could pick a sweet, so I was surprised that they liked them that much.  Anyway, people at work were obsessed with them.  My friends all like them too, and I often make them for their kids’ birthday parties.  Then a couple of people asked if they could buy some from me, then one thing lead to another, and I decided, why not?

I came up with a name, and had someone on Etsy create a logo for me.  Is it not the cutest?!  It’s not at all what I asked for but I totally love it.

Print

I started a Facebook page a few months ago, and was shocked by the following I got practically overnight.  I got 2 ordered that first night, I think.  Since then, I’ve steadily had 1-2 orders a week, which works out perfectly since I’m really only doing this on the side (for now :) )

Last month, I had a booth at a local event called Vintage Market Days.  They typically have 5,000 to 7,000 people through their doors.  It was a huge undertaking.  Completely exhausting.  I think I make 1,200 cupcakes and cakepops in 24 hours. I sold almost all of them. It was crazy.  People have emailed me from that, and tell me that my fill-in-the-flavor was the best cupcake they’ve ever had.  Again, crazy.

1

I have had requests to do a couple of other vendor-type events. I would love to do that, but it’s difficult to prepare for those kinds of things while still working full time, so I haven’t been able to do anything else yet.

I hope that someday this is more than just a side business.

Chocolate-Salted Caramel-Coconut Cakepops

2

 

Sofia the First Party4

 

Simple Vanilla

3

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Congrats on your early success with Sweetcakes! Love the logo, and I can also say love the cupcakes! The Sofia the First cupcakes were delicious & adorable! Not many people can say they've followed their passion & turned it into a career and so for that, well done friend!

Aja said...

Yay! So excited for you and I'm cracking up that your logo was not at all what you asked for! It's adorable though!

Ashley said...

STOP!!! I had no idea! I will like your fb page. THIS is awesome!! I am so proud of you.