I have searched a LONG TIME for the best sugar cookie recipe, and I think I finally found it!
I originally found this on a blog, but I cannot for the life of me find it again! So, don’t send the blog police if this is your recipe, okay? :)
Chewy Sugar Cookies
(yes, this is a sugar cookie, I just rolled mine in cinnamon sugar, and voila! Snickerdoodles!)
What you need:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
sugar for rolling cookies (or cinnamon sugar for snickerdoodles)
What to do:
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in egg and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and slowly add to the butter mixture.
4. Form into balls and roll in [cinnamon] sugar.
5. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
This made 24 cookies last night.
A couple of things I did that I feel I should note:
- When creaming butter and sugar, I use a stand electric mixer with the paddle attachment and just let ‘er go for a long time. Like, long enough that it looks white and like whipped cream. I don’t know if that matters or not, but that’s how I always beat butter and sugar for cookies.
- I have made this recipe a few times. The first couple, the dough was really dry. And they tasted a little too much like flour. I mean, they were good, but just too flour-y. The last time I made them, I only used 2 cups of flour. They were a little more difficult to roll, but buttery enough that they didn’t stick too much, and they were AMAZING! I will continue to only use 2 cups of flour.
- I bake mine for 9 minutes. They will NOT look done when you pull them out. Don’t let them brown at all, or they will not be chewy. They will look very under-done and still kinda jiggle-y. But, trust me on this one. Just make sure to let them cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet before moving them to a wire rack (or whatever you use) to cool so that they’re firm enough to move.
Then, eat one, and die from the chewy goodness. You're welcome :)